Formative Assessment will enable students to prepare an outline plan of their written assignment that will inform the summative assignment. Students will reflect on their own organisation and develop a SWOT analysis. This will help to identify areas for discussion in the summative assessment.
Appropriateness of the topic to their clinical field will be discussed, evaluated and feedback provided.
Summative Assessment requires you to submit a 4000 word (+/- 10%) critical reflective and analysis of professional practice, and synthesise new approaches to practice innovation in light of current evidence. You must clearly identify, examine, and critically evaluate key issues using a body of diverse evidence to support the synthesis, examination & application within your professional field to enhance care quality. Students are expected to consider the wider strategic issues as well as their own experiences and relate the content to their area of practice.
Introduction –succinct description of your organisation with confidentiality adhered to at all times. Identification of what you will be discussing, and the order in which it will be presented.
Main body-What are the contextual & extrinsic factors? National policies, e.g. targets-directives, and how do they influence L&M processes? Financial constraints -budgets again does this impact? L&M’s responsibility to ensure all is in place. Write about these influences in a concise manner pulling out key elements you have already researched and remember these may not all be relevant to your particular workplace.
As you move towards the end of discussing extrinsic factors –lead the reader into your next focused area for discussion -the intrinsic factors.
Start by discussing your findings from audit tools used, for example the SWOT analysis, or similar tool findings to justify your chosen threads. These will then be analysed in relation to theory.
Possible lines of enquiry might be include but are not exclusive or exhaustive :
- How does Cultural/ transformational leadership (Schein 2004 cited in Shedlitzki and Edwards (2014) impact on your role within the organisation?
- Leadership styles -the impact of leadership styles on colleagues/team members and effectiveness of managing a department or sector.
- Links to ethical leadership- team engagement, effectiveness of leadership style and consistency across different roles.
- Ways of communicating; team motivation –clarity of roles and responsibilities; leading you towards the conclusion
Conclusion summarise the key findings, do not add- anything new.
Recommendations to your organisation – what next? If possible include a costed action plan to facilitate a plan of action:
Submit your essay in size 12, Arial font with 1.5 line spacing.
1. Provide a title page which includes:
- Your student number and cohort
- The module information (module code and name)
- The actual word count (within +/- 10%) of 4000 words)
- Your submission date
2. Throughout your essay use:
- Arial font size 12
- 1.5 or double line spacing
- Page numbers as footer
- Student number as header
Your essay should include:
An accurate reference list using the Bucks Harvard referencing system
Word Count does not include:
You are tasked to write succinctly and competently.