Title of unit/s
Managing the L&D business function
- Presentation and notes pages
- L&D plan
1 Understand the evolving nature, purpose and business improvement activities of the learning and development function in contemporary organisations.
2 Understand different models for delivering the learning and development function.
3 Be able to manage different aspects of the learning and development function.
You have applied for a position as an L&D manager and have been invited for interview. As part of the selection process you have been asked to give the panel a presentation on your understanding of the L&D function, different delivery models and if appointed, how you would manage the function based on the updated job description provided when you were short-listed. In your presentation, you should:
- Identify the key purposes of the L&D function in organisations. You should include in your notes pages how this has evolved over the last five years.
- Identify at least three L&D activities that contribute to business improvement.
- Compare and contrast at least three different roles in L&D.
- Present a critical assessment of the relative merits of at least three different models of delivering L&D services.
- Explain at least four of the key roles and responsibilities of an L&D manager.
- Give at least three examples of how you have or would provide leadership, guidance and support to members of an L&D team.